Thursday, December 30, 2010

Welcome to the birth of Foodolicious!

How did I ever become such a foodie...I spent zero time in the kitchen with my Mom.  Well I did go to the kitchen asking her when her delicious creamy pinto beans would be ready or the Sunday menudo or when she was going to make her fantasic chicken enchiladas again...but not once did I stand there and watch her make something with an intention of making it myself...I don't know exactly when it happened...but it started to "ferment" in me as a little kid...my brother married into this huge Jewish family (the marriage only lasted one year) and I was thrust into "Jewish Culinary Culture" my sister-in-law would parade me to her relatives at their homes...and yes some really did have clear plastic covered couches.  I was eight years old and was about to have my culinary brain blossom.  I recall being at one of my sister-in-law's relatives homes and having lunch...what was put in front of me looked  like a mini meatloaf.  It was the best ground meat burger thing I had ever eaten up to that point in my eight years of living.  All I remember is that the meat had matzo meal mixed in it...that intriqued me.  That there were different ways to prepare food and there was this good tasting thing called "Matzo Meal" that I didn't even know existed until that day.  Maybe that's why "Ethnic Foods" are especially tantalizing and appealing to me.


The purpose of this blog as the name implies, is one-hundred percent culinary in nature.  I love to create and to experiment and to share what comes out of these creative experiments.  I would say the majority of what I create in my kitchen is healthy...such as my canola/olive oil tamale masa or my oven baked buffalo wings...but my tomato soup wouldn't be my tomato soup without the addition of quite a bit of bacon and butter...what isn't better with bacon and butter?  I sort of offset this recipe health-wise by using plain yoghurt instead of the use of cream...I am about to try liquid smoke in place of the bacon..but I will save that for another blog entree...then there is the whole process of mass freezing with the use of a food saver to save soooooo much money and time.  This past season I grew so much basil that I was able to process about one hundred and twenty pesto cubes that are now sitting in our stand up freeezer and used for bread, for pizza sauce, for ravioli filling and for uses I haven't even thought of yet.  But it's exciting to have such pesto surplus especially when you go to the store and look at what it costs for a small jar of pre made pesto sauce...with a whole bunch of preservatives to boot...then it really sinks in how it was worth all the work. 


enuf for now,
robert

No comments:

Post a Comment