Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Baba Ganoush!


No I am not swearing, for those of you that don't know what Baba Ganoush is (pronounced bah bah ga noosh).  It's a wonderful middle eastern spread made of eggplant.  If anyone just cringed over the eggplant part, let me tell you, even my partner who hates eggplant likes this dip.  I was introduced to it a long time ago, ironically not by someone of middle eastern descent but by a neighbor's house guest visiting from Germany.  One summer during a block party style barbecue in Long Beach, California, a young German woman brought out this bowl with this beige colored creamy dip...I asked her what it was and in a very strong german accent she told me it was Baba Ganoush...I must have asked her 14 times what the heck she was saying.  I recall even thinking, that it must be a german dish with such a wild name.  I fell in love with it the instant it hit my taste buds.  It has a truly unique flavor, I cannot think of anything that compares to it in flavor.  It's sort of like Hummus in consistency with it's own taste.  I am wishing I had a bowl of it right now with warmed pita bread as I start to write today's blog.  I must remember not to blog on an empty stomach.

Her recipe, is slightly different from a traditional middle eastern one, in that you flavor the oil with hot chilis and then introduce the eggplant to the oil.  This spicy addition really marries well with the eggplant dip.  You can eliminate the chilis and pretty much have the traditional version in taste.  Baba Ganoush is very healthy for you too especially if you use non fat yogurt.  If that is not enough healthy for you, you can brush slices of eggplant with oil, and bake them in a moderate oven till soft and brownish instead of cooking them in oil, but it's olive oil...and once again I rationalize...

Baba Ganoush 

2 large eggplants - peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup olive oil
Three dried Arbol Chilis
4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh curley parsley
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup plain low or nonfat yogurt
3 tbsp lemon Juice

In a large saute pan or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat
Smash the chili's with the flat side of a chef knife to cause them to split open slightly
Add the chili's to the oil and saute for 5 minutes stirring now and then to prevent burning
Add the chopped garlic cloves and stir for 1 minute
Add the chopped eggplant to the pan and stir well to coat the eggplant with all the flavored oil
Continue to stir till eggplant begins to become translucent and soft
Remove from heat, but leave in the pan and allow to cool
When eggplant has reached room temperature discard the chili pods and
place into a blender or food processor
Add the sugar, the salt, the yogurt, the lemon juice and process till smooth.
If you want a thinner texture, you can add more yogurt.
Pour into a bowl and fold in the chopped parsley.
Refrigerate for 3 hours.
Enjoy with pita bread wedges. 


Baba Ganoush!

robert


1 comment:

  1. love the idea of flavoring the oil with the hot chili's!

    ReplyDelete