Thursday, January 27, 2011

ooooh what a big granite mortar and pestle can do for you.....

Several years ago, I finally purchased a big heavy granite Mortar & Pestle set.  (The Mortar being the bowl, the Pestle the bat shaped tool.)  Previously I had purchased a very small marble set...it didn't do squat as far as pulverizing went.  Then one day I was watching a cooking show on Thai cooking and I saw the woman using a large Mortal & Pestle made of granite....she was quickly able to puree, garlic, ginger, chili's, fresh herbs...I knew it was time to get one.  In my Hispanic culture we have the Metate used by both ancestors and current day relatives that still use them for chili preparation and mole's.  If you already have one of these carved rock kitchen tools, you know how wonderfully "primordial" it feels to lift the Pestle and drop it over and over on ingredients to make them into a paste like consistency.  It's not a task for those that need to be gentle and quiet in the kitchen that's for sure.  It's noisy...but that's all part of the charm to me, knowing that all that pounding will end up as good eating's. 

So I often talk about ways to save money.  Jarred garlic, ginger chili pastes & cashew nut pastes can be expensive when you find them.  Making them yourself is not only cost effective, but there are no preservatives to deal with.  There are so many things you can puree quickly with these stone tools.  It is believed that when you process say your garlic in this manner versus a food processor, your allowing the essential flavorful oils to fully develop and to reach it's full boquet of flavors...sounds good to me.  If you decide to purchase one, I suggest a big one.  I found mine on the internet with free shipping!  That was a slam dunk for me in deciding whom to purchase from.  These guys are heavy and shipping costs can be astounding.  As I ready to give you one of my favorite Indian vegetarian recipes, I know just as I am thinking about this dish that this is what I am making tonight...it's been awhile...I guess I just feel like tapping into that which is primordial in me once more, sans the outdoors, pelts chants and blazing fire.

Baked Spicy Cauliflower (Gobhi Mussallam)

3 cups cauliflower florets, frozen or fresh
1 tsp Turmeric
Salt to Taste
3 bay leaves
3 tbsp canola oil
4 whole cloves
4 whole green cardamon pods
2 tsp ginger/garlic paste
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp garam masala
1/8 tsp red chili powder
1/8 tsp white pepper
3 tbsp cashew nut paste
2 tbsp plain yoghurt
3 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup cream or whole or reduced fat milk

If you have a mortar & Pestle make your ginger, garlic and cashew pastes or you can purchase from an ethnic speciality food store
Add cauliflower to a large pan, add water to cover and bring to boil
Add Turmeric, Bay Leaves and slightly more than a pinch of salt
Allow to cook till cauliflower is 3/4 done
Remove from heat and drain and discard water and bay leaves
Place cauliflower into an ovenproof casserole dish
Mix the garlic and ginger paste in 2 tbsp of water in a small bowl
Mix the cashew paste with the yoghurt and 1/2 cup of water in a small bowl
Over medium heat pour the canola oil in a pan and add the cloves and green cardamon pods (hit them with the flat side of a knife to slightly open them)
Saute just till they begin to crackle and then add in the garlic/ginger paste
When the water has evaporated, add in the butter and the garam masala, the red chili powder, the white pepper and about an 1/8 tsp of salt
Turn the heat to low and add in the cashew paste mixture
When it begins to boil, add in the tomato paste, cover and cook for 5 minutes
Add in the cream or milk and then pour over the cauliflower in the casserole
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes
Serve with Basmati rice.

Ugh!

robert




No comments:

Post a Comment