Wednesday, January 26, 2011

How it's done in Tuscany


A few weeks ago, I talked about the Italian ladies of Tuscany that come here to conduct cooking classes each year.  I gave the recipe for a fantastically flavorful salad I learned to make at the class...it's now my favorite salad to make.  I also make a mouth watering risotto that we enjoyed that night.  It is absolutely delicious and easy to make, but like any risotto recipe, it's just a matter of being patient enough to stand over the pot constantly stirring and adding hot broth until the mixture turns to rich creamy risotto with such wonderful flavor. It nearly stands on it's own as a meal all by itself but boy does it partner well with the salad those women from Tuscany taught us to make, in the event you feel like making both...let me tell you this is one pairing that will more than satisfy and impress...I could see this scoring major points as a first time meal for a sweetheart...hey maybe I should've used this for Valentine's Day.
http://foodolicious.blogspot.com/2011/01/wild-mamas-of-tuscany.html


Risotto alla Zucca (pumpkin)

1 lb Arbol rice
Pumpkin or Butternut Squash*
I glass good white wine
1 onion thinly sliced
Olive Oil, Butter
1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
7 cups Hot Broth

Cut the small pumpkin or squash in half, place face down onto foil covered cookie sheet
and back at 350 till a fork inserted through outer skin easily pierces through
Scoop out meat and set aside
Saute the onion in a small amount of butter and olive oil
Over medium heat, add the pumpkin to the onion and stir in arbol rice till thoroughly coated
Pour in the glass of wine and allow to evaporate
Add in one cup of the broth and continously stir till broth is worked in and evaporated
Continue to add in broth, one cup at a time till the risotto is soft but not mushy
Just before serving, add in the Parmigiano and a spoonful of unsalted butter
Add salt and pepper to taste

*The name of this recipe, Risotto alla Zucca (Zucca means pumpkin) was made by the ladies with cooked pumpkin, but they also mentioned you could use Butternut Squash...I love that type of squash, so I always use it in place of the pumpkin, to me it's even better this way...but don't get me wrong the pumpkin makes this dish phenomenal if you want to use it instead of the butternut.

buon appetito!

robert



No comments:

Post a Comment