Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Garlic paste you will not believe


When I lived in California, one of my regular food outings was to Zankou Chicken.  I have mentioned this place on another blog entree, but it's worth mentioning again http://www.zankouchicken.com/  If you have experienced the place then you know how wonderful the garlic paste is.  It is fantastic lemony garlic intensity that as a dip for juicy flavorful rotisserie chicken bites (Zankou Style) and wrapped in pita bread will not be forgotten...I dare you to try it if you live in Southern California!  I left the land of sunshine well over a decade ago but my cravings for Zankou Chicken did not end there.  I didn't know what to do...So I started surfing the internet to see if there was anyone that had successfully made the garlic paste recipe.  I found a person that was actually visiting on holiday from Germany.  She got hooked on the chicken and the potent paste while in California.  She shared with me what she had found on the internet and that she had made the garlic paste successfully and ate it back in Germany with roasted or barbecued chicken.  I was more than excited, and began making it myself to satisfy the Zankou Chicken urge when it comes up.  You really have to be a garlic lover to appreciate it because you will relive it for hours after consuming it.  I am starting to salivate just writing this...I miss Zankou Chicken.

Potent! Potent! Potent! Garlic Paste

3 small russett potatoes - peeled
1 whole head of garlic (about 12-14 cloves) cut into quarters
1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 tbsp salt

Boil the potatoes in water till soft then mash and allow to cool
Place the garlic into a blender and puree with the salt and lemon juice and about 2 tbsp of the oil
With the motor running, slowly pour the remainder of the oil thru the blender lid opening
Begin to add the mashed potatoes about two tbsp at a time till the consistency is thick and creamy
Refrigerate this potent dip of mighty flavor for several hours
Serve with a pre cooked store bought rotisserie chicken and pita bread
Note:  This is a highly addictive concoction...just be forwarned...but it's a good addiction
Make certain that those that you love also consume it at the same time...or else your asking for trouble  :-)






Sensual garlic dreams to you!

robert

1 comment: