Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Because I had 7 requests last night for this heart warming soup

So the irony in today's soup recipe is that last night as the temperatures began to drop, for whatever reason I began to crave this soup that someone I know made once and it was very satisfying in cold weather.  I recalled it being very simple to make.  I left a message for this person to obtain the recipe, when I didn't hear from her...I began to think about creating my own rendition of the soup.  It wasn't like I wasn't capable of creating something without using a bunch of cans of this and cans of that...not my style anyhow.  So I just went to the kitchen...as temperatures continued to drop and thought about what I liked about the soup, what characteristics it had that made me crave it out of the blue like that...its been seriously like two years since I had it.  So...I scored in a big way, because the soup I created last night was ten times better in flavor and that allowed me to sip the soup with Aaron, allow it to warm us up real good...and then at the end of a big steamy bowl...I simply curled my lips upward...allowing a very very satisfied grin to appear on my face. 

Ok...so my version of Chicken Tortilla Soup is very simple and can be very healthy depending how you go about it...i.e., plain yoghurt instead of sour cream, a small amount of cheese versus a ton or even going the route of low fat cheese...First off, We never have bagged chips in the house.  If we don't stock em we don't eat em...and there isn't anything healthy about those bagged chips...and this is the number one snack food consumed in America!  So when I need chips I simply reach into the fridge and grab some corn tortilla's, cut em in small strips and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for about twenty minutes or until beginning to brown - salt as desired.  A no brainer fix for unhealthy bagged tortilla chips.  Of course there are now oven baked varieties, but why not save a bunch of money and avoid preservatives if it's easy to do?  Ok off the health lesson soap box Robert...the cold single digit weather must have me on edge ;-)

Then there is the matter of the Rotel brand canned tomatoes...if you have em great, if not just use regular canned chopped tomatoes and add red chili and green chili powder to make spicy to your liking.  Rotel tomatoes are convenient to have around, but they are just spiced flavored tomatoes...I happened to have had a can sitting in the pantry last night, so I used it. http://www.ro-tel.com/index.jsp  I didn't even know this product existed till I left California...used by New Mexican's a great deal.  Queso is a big hit here during holidays and pot lucks. Basically it is melted cheese sauce with Rotel mixed in. 

Finally I want to hit on sour cream versus yoghurt...I have mentioned on past blog entrees about the value in plain yoghurt.  I try to follow the "if we don't stock it we don't eat it rule".  I used to be a sour cream junkie, guess I just don't want to fall off the wagon.  There are those reading this that know what I mean and it's true...when you get used to the taste of low or non fat plain yoghurt...it's amazing on baked potatoes, will add creaminess to soups in place of cream and it does superbly in today's recipe...and lets not forget the best low fat fact of all, it be healthy for your insides!  Enuf said.  Here is my recipe I made up last night.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

6 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut up into one inch pieces
1 ten oz can Rotel spicy chopped tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
3 peeled/sliced medium sized russet potatoes
one large onion chopped
three cloves garlic chopped
three carrots chopped
2 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp mexican oregano
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 slice bacon chopped extra finely
Tortilla strips or chips
Sharp grated cheddar cheese
Plain yoghurt or sour cream

In a large soup pot, saute the vegetables and the bacon in a small amount of canola oil till softened
add in the chopped chicken pieces and the spices
cook together for five minutes
Add the chicken stock and 2 cups of water
cook over medium heat for 45-60 minutes
Taste and adjust with more salt, pepper and chili powder if necessary

Serve this soup in big bowls, by first placing a big handful of the tortilla strips in bottom of bowl
Add a handful of the cheese and a dollop of either plain yoghurt or sour cream
Pour the hot soup on top and add another sprinkling of tortilla strips
You might also want to add chopped avocado on top*

*This was suggested last night by my friend Mary, who went home in Southern California and made my recipe...thanks Mary!

Another variation I thought of was to use some flavored tortilla chips such as red chili or blue corn as well as using a combination of cheeses at bottom of bowl

Stay warm all!

robert






1 comment:

  1. Okay, wow you got me on the guilty side of bagged tortilla strips!!! Ouch! I am going to try your soup tonight Robert! And, as usual you make me laugh every time I read your articles!! You have the best sense of humor even if your bottom lip curls!!! :)

    ReplyDelete