Friday, February 18, 2011

Very fast refried beans in your pressure cooker...soooo much better than canned


Since I was a little kid, I have always loved hot cheesy refried beans.  I remember back in the late 60's being at our favorite Mexican restaurant and asking if I could have my moms off of her plate if she didn't finish them...and often would plead for a side order of refrieds.  At home I couldn't wait till my mother's big pot of beans was nearing their end because that meant that she was going to be making her refrieds...I don't know what she did exactly, I think she would put them into a skillet and add bacon drippings, smash them with a spoon if I remember correctly and then allow some of the liquids to evaporate for delicious refried beans.  Well...I wish she were here today so I could share my quicker and easier way to make refried beans.  I don't wait till the beans are almost gone.  I cook a big pot and make refrieds out of all of it.  Sooooooooo good!  And if your hungry and want a real quick meal...a tortilla and bean and cheese burrito...well there is no better marriage!

Fast Pressure Cooked Refried Beans

4 cups dried pinto beans - fresh is best if you have access, but bagged off the shelf is fine too
1 slice of bacon - finely chopped
1/2 yellow onion chopped
2 tbsp bacon drippings
salt and pepper to taste
cheddar and jack cheese

Sort through beans to make sure there are no rocks or scary looking bad beans
In a large pressure cooker saute the chopped bacon with the drippings and the onion
Add in the dried pinto beans and stir to coat well
Pour in enough water to cover the top level of beans by 3 inches
Cover and lock lid and cook over high heat
When the hissing begins. lower the heat to medium and cook for 45 minutes
Turn off head and allow to de pressurize on its own
Remove approximately 2 cups of bean liquid, set aside
With an immersion blender process the beans till velvety smooth
Add salt and pepper to taste
Now add in about 2 cups monterey jack cheese and 2 cups cheddar
Mix with large spoon
If your beans are too thick add in some of the bean liquid you reserved till the consistency is creamy but not runny
A variation I sometimes do is to grab your jar of jalapeno peppers from the fridge and pour in some of the chile liquid
Taste...if you did it right...your eyes will roll back in their sockets and you will let out a little coo of culinary ecstasy.

This recipe is specifically for a pressure cooker.  You can follow your stove top or crock pot recipe for making pinto beans and then follow the recipe from the point of using the immersion blender


hasta luego!

robert


No comments:

Post a Comment