Sunday, February 13, 2011

A zesty Peruvian potato dish ready in a flash


so often I find I want to do something with Feta Cheese.  I buy one of those huge blocks at Sam's Club every few months.  Then I can get creative with using it. Like two days ago we had left over Penne Pasta with Turkey Italian Sausage and so I wanted to change the flavor, so I threw in some Feta before I reheated the dish. 

One of my favorite things to do with Feta is to make a quick and easy cheese sauce to go over boiled potatoes.  It's a Peruvian dish that my friend Eloisa used to make quite often when I lived in California.  It seems there are variations in preparing the sauce, but I stick with the way Eloisa taught me to make it...she is Peruvian after all.

Peruvian Potatoes and Cheese Sauce

3 yellow potatoes - boiled with skins left on
Two boiled eggs - yolks only
crumbled feta cheese - about 1/4 cup
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 cup milk
5 unsalted saltines
1 extra finely chopped Serrano chili* - seeds removed
Black Olives sliced lengthwise in half
*I use the Serrano chili because as I mentioned in my second blog entree
the Peruvian Aji Chili is not easy to find.  If you have access use them!  They have a unique taste that complements the cheese sauce...Serrano's are close enough in taste to work though.

Cool the boiled potatoes and slice across the potato making 1/8 inch round slices
Place the potatoes in the refrigerator to chill
Place the remaining ingredients into a food processor - remember to only use the boiled egg yolks
Process till smooth 
Sauce should be on the thick side like the consistency of Catsup add more saltines or more milk to get to that thickness
There is no need to add salt, the feta is salty enough

Pour the sauce over the cold potatoes and top with a slice of olive


Zesty Peruvian flavors to you!

robert




No comments:

Post a Comment