Saturday, February 12, 2011

I love copycat recipes when I come across em!


Oh there are things I miss about Southern California...smog and traffic are not two of em.  But one thing about growing up there...the food culture is off the charts when it comes to diversity.  I got exposed to everything from Ethiopian to Caribbean to Cuban to China Town Chinese and Olvera Street Mexican...when you leave that, there is an adjustment period.  I arrived in Albuquerque in 1999 and two weeks later was freaking out that there were few decent Chinese food restaurants and not one Jewish Deli!  Like I said, there was an adjustment period. Once I did, New Mexico in of itself, has amazing cuisine beginning with the most amazing green chile ...12 years later Albuquerque has broadened its culinary horizons so much more than when I first arrived there. 

On the "fast food" chart, I miss In n Out Burgers, Fat Burgers, Zankou Chicken and Pollo Loco.  I was still living in California when someone asked me if I wanted the secret marinade recipe for  Pollo Loco Chicken.  Skeptically I accepted the xerox copy and went home to try it out.  I was amazed how it was very similar.  I realized I didn't have those big hot grills like they do in the restaurant chain where you watch them turn over the golden yellowish orangish hued succulent pieces of chicken.  This is a great summer barbecue recipe, but you can attain similar results on your indoor grill...you just have to make sure its medium hot.  Some of you will just opt to go into the restaurant and order up a batch of Pollo Loco if you live in a state where they thrive...not here unfortunately...there is something to me about recreating a recipe that you would normally have to pay someone else to make...

Pollo Loco Recipe

1 can (6 oz) unsweetened pineapple juice
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp white vinegar
2 large garlic cloves - crushed and minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves crumbled
1/4 tsp mild red chili powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
8 drops yellow food coloring
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 whole chicken cut up

Combine all the marinade ingredients
Place chicken pieces in a shallow baking dish and add the marinade
Turn the chicken to make sure it is coated well
Cover with lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight turn the chicken at least once during the marinating period

To Cook:
Bring chicken to room temperature before cooking
Preheat barbecue coals or gas grill or indoor grill
Drain Chicken but reserve the marinade for basting
Grill chicken for 25 to 40 minutes depending on size of chicken
Turn every 10 minutes and baste upper side with lots of marinade
You know it's done when you pierce the chicken with a fork and the juices run clear
If you cook the chicken right it will be moist and juicy and the skin so crispy and flavorful
I serve it like they do, with fresh corn or flour tortillas and freshly made pinto beans and salsa


Chow down!

robert

1 comment: