Monday, February 28, 2011

Making spaghetti with a pizzazy slant...


Sometimes the best "keeper" recipes are from every one's kitchen "aunt".  She has been around for a long time.  Her recipes can be basic and yet be very flavorful.  I have a few of em that I have held onto for decades, referring to them every now and again for either Aaron and I or for a dinner party.  The auntie I am referring to is good old Betty Crocker.  I have two cookbook's by her. One is very old and one is from the eighties.  I remember looking through my newer of the two and thinking that she was so "innovative" with recipes like Avocado Soup.  I even started wondering about who the heck this Ms. Crocker was?  You always see a painted likeness of her...not a real photo...turned out I lost interest in finding out...it just wasn't all that important...I just knew that I never had a flop with one of her recipes...One of my favorites is very simple and yet not so simple in taste.  It's Betty's Tuna Spaghetti.  The marriage of the tuna with the garlic and the herbs and the half-and-half make for an out of the ordinary Spaghetti dish...sometimes a red marinara gets old...and sometimes Tuna Spaghetti hits the spot perfectly.


Betty's Tuna Spaghetti

1 package thin spaghetti or Angel hair pasta
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup half-and-half
1 tsp dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1 can tuna (9 1/4 ounce)*
1/2 cup sliced pimiento stuffed green olives
1/4 cup grated Parmesiano Reggiano (she used regular...Reggiano is sooo way better...sorry Bet)

Cook Spaghetti as directed on package and drain
Cook garlic in butter in 2 qt saucepan over medium low heat...you don't want to burn the garlic...just cook till beginning to get golden brown
Stir in half-and-half, basil and the oregano
Heat just till begins to boil
Add in tuna, olives and cheese...stir together for one minute
Pour over hot spaghetti

*I have altered this at times with canned salmon and using just 2% milk instead of the half and half


Ahhhh the anti-vampire principles of garlic!

robert

No comments:

Post a Comment